Barefoot-Running the San Francisco Half-Marathon

 

these two guys carried me well

     Last week, I ran the San Francisco ½ Marathon…in bare feet.  I was the only weirdo (relatively speaking—remember this was San Francisco) running with no shoes, no protective socks, nada-- completely in bare feet, at least as far as I witnessed.  Yet there was one barefoot runner in the full marathon, which blows my mind.  13.1 miles was hard enough!  My daughter ran the whole 26.2 mile ordeal, twice as far as me and complained not a wink, not even hitting “The Wall.”  In her endless enthusiasm, she said to herself at mile 26, “Aw, it’s over already?”  She was having too much fun.

 


     I must admit that despite the crazy steep hills up and down, long stretches of terribly rough asphalt, a couple excursions along rocky dirt paths, and a strong wind blowing across the Golden Gate Bridge, I too had a bit of fun.  Much of this was the San Francisco vibe.  Spectators and the runners themselves were extremely encouraging, shouting “barefoot dude!” or “what the %#$!?” and slapping high-fives, which made the whole ordeal less painful and a full-on blast.  And despite what a few of my SF cousins and friends feared, I never stepped on hypodermic needles or clumps of human waste or less-disgusting dog poop. 

    Or if I had, I never noticed.

©Randall S. Fong, M.D.

www.randallfong.com

For more topics on medicine, health and the weirdness of life in general, check out the rest of the blog site at  randallfong.blogspot.com


Comments