New Year 2023: Age is Just a Number and Youth is a Mindset



Happy 2023!  Another year and we’re all getting older.  That’s the nature of time.  I reflect upon the past to learn from it, view the future with enthusiasm, yet try to live in-the-moment despite what is thrown my way.  Paraphrasing St. Paul, I have learned, no matter what my circumstances or whatever state I am, to be content.  The family photo exemplifies this.

Looking back at my youth, I never thought I could do what I’m able to do to this day.

For instance, to celebrate my 61st birthday, which falls at the end of the year, I ran as far as I could in 61 minutes, barefoot, covering 7.1 miles in a lactate-drenched threshold between joy and pain.  I squeezed out 51 pullups in 6.1 minutes, arm and back muscles screaming for the clock to roll faster.  I later tried to drink a large beer in 6.1 seconds, but…”a man’s got to know his limitations.”

Speaking of which, that Dirty Harry quote reminds me Clint Eastwood is over 90 years old.  So is Warren Buffet, the famous investor.  The world is replete with “advanced aged” folks doing remarkable things both past and present.  But everyday examples can be found just out your front door.

A dear acquaintance, 82 years old and highly respected in his field, recently was hit by a car after leaving a meeting.  He was in the closing stages of his professional career, ready to completely retire in just a few weeks.  He suffered a brain bleed but fortunately did not need surgery.  He slowly is recovering, yet believed at the time, “this is it,” his last days on earth. 

This is a man who planned on retiring 13 years ago but served as an interim CEO for hospitals in transition.  He was so successful that he was asked to help another hospital, then another and another…you know how the story goes.  His job required extensive travel all across the nation, and what once was a several-months temporary job turned out to be 13 years of high-level activity, both in mind and body, at an age where most folks would have long ago retired.  Did I mention he is 82?  And his last words to me just two days before his accident were:

“I never let anything ruin my day.”

Despite his near-death experience, his attitude has not changed.  This is a man who is sharp as a tack, with a vitality that blows my mind.  Though not in the way he hoped, the end of 2022 was to be his true retirement, where he can spend time with his grandkids and great-grandkids, no doubt imprinting upon them an indelible mark of joy, character and virtue.  He is a motivating role model for anyone of any age.  I’m certainly a better person for knowing him.

This is glowing example that age is just a number and youth is a mindset.  Keep this in your head and live it every day.  And Happy New Year!

 

©Randall S. Fong, M.D.

www.randallfong.com

For more topics on medicine, health and the weirdness of life in general, check out the rest of the blog site at  randallfong.blogspot.com


Comments

  1. Well
    Said, we came on the same year - hold the torch

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment